Many view the Second Coming as a time when Jesus will personally and politically reign, not just host lamb & lion mixers. So what do you think? Will Jesus govern politically? Or is the notion that Jesus will govern politically more of the same wishful thinking that people had the first time around when they thought the Messiah would free them from political oppression by the Romans? (Weren’t they disappointed!)
Before you give your opinion, here are some more specific questions to consider about an actual government with Jesus at the helm:
- What kind of government.
- Will the earth be a theocracy (like Iran) or will there be separation of church and state like in the U.S. (except the deep South and Utah)?
- Would Jesus be subject to elections? What if He got voted out?
- Will there still be dissenting opinions? Different political parties? What if someone disagrees with Jesus? What would He do? Go all “cleanse the temple” on the Senate?
- Is Jesus a Democrat or Republican (remember he hung out with both poor people and tax collectors)? Will He cut through pork barrel spending with a double-edged sword of fire? Is Jesus good with money (wasn’t He keeping His money in a live fish last time)?
- Role of churches.
- Will there be a “church” during the millenium? Why would there be? Isn’t the church like the babysitter while the Savior’s away? Remember, there wasn’t a church per se when He was on the earth. He created a movement. The disciples created a church to keep the movement going and provide support to new followers. At the least, He could reduce the three-hour block.
- Will there be various churches then? Will some be non-Christian?
- Will there be a mass conversion to one faith or at least Christianity? Will there be apostates after that?
- What kind of shows would be on TV? Would everyone be self-censoring? Would there be less taking of the name of God in vain?
- Would WWJD shirts & caps be irrelevant or an even bigger seller now that we know the answer to the question?
- Jesus as a Leader. What kind of political leader would Jesus be?
- A great communicator (if you have ears to hear anyway).
- Your basic delegator.
- He might host some amazing parties (His reputation as a wine-bibber), but none of the cool people will be invited (expect guys in tin foil hats and aging hookers based on His friends the first time around).
- Would He do interviews with Larry King? Stephen Colbert?
So, do you take this idea literally? If so, what do you think it will be like? Do you fall into the “it will be so different than things are now that we can’t fathom it” (because if so, I guess I would just say “people are people”)? Discuss.