According to alexa.com, By Common Consent is currently the top ranked site in the Bloggernacle. Congratulations to our esteemed colleagues; you have earned the distinction of “top blog”! Not to toot our own horn, but Mormon Matters is also on the rise in the Bloggernacle (at #3), coming in behind #2 bloggernacle perennial favorite Times & Seasons. Alexa.com ranks web sites from most popular (#1) to least popular (infinity). If a site is ranked in the top 100K, alexa.com considers them worth providing additional information about. Just to keep it in perspective, there is no bloggernacle site in the top 100K, unless you count ericsnider.com (which is a link in the LDS aggregator ldsblogs.com), a popular media review site. Other “Mormon-themed” non-bloggernacle sites in the top 100K include:
- lds.org is ranked 2,775th. There are 3,305 other sites with a link to their site (a big driver of traffic). On average, readers spend 5 mins there.
- familysearch.org is ranked 10,002nd. There are 3,686 sites that link in, and readers spend an average of 10.3 mins on the site.
- mormon.org is ranked 58,188th. 1,160 other sites link in, and readers spend an average of 2.4 mins there.
- providentliving.org is ranked 80,071st. There are 335 links from other sites, and the average time spent on the site is 4.5 mins.
- mormontimes.com is ranked 90,257th. 287 sites link in, and the average time on the site is 2.7 mins.
To be fair, I should mention that the next ranked Mormon-themed site after ericsnider’s was ex-mormon.org at 123,717th. It links from 262 sites and captivates attention for an average of 6.5 mins.
That brings us to the bloggernacle. It would be more time-consuming that I have the stomach for to do an alexa.com search on all bloggernacle sites, although it is a free site, and all of you are welcome to dig around there are find out whatever interests you. I did search the largest bloggernacle sites that readily came to mind. I apologize in advance for any I may have overlooked that ranked higher. I believe I searched thoroughly, but I’ve been wrong before.
In order, here are the top 5 Bloggernacle sites (drum roll, please):
- By Common Consent at 192,598th and closing in on that coveted 100K threshold! They are linked from 204 sites, and readers spend an average of 4.4 mins there.
- Times & Seasons at 237,558th. They are linked from 251 sites, and readers spend an average of 3 mins there.
- Mormon Matters at 348,778th. We are linked from only 91 sites, but readers spend an average of 7.8 mins with us. The crowd goes wild! We’d like to thank the academy . . .
- Feminist Mormon Housewives at 369,720th. They link from 201 site, and readers stay on the site an average of 4.1 mins.
- Mormon Mentality at 636,957th. They link from 76 other sites, and average time on the site is 2.5 mins.
I had to cut the list somewhere, but I feel remiss if I don’t mention that Segullah is very close on the heels of Mormon Mentality, ranking 654,988th, with 68 linked sites and an average of 4 mins.
Also of note, many of the sites are on the rise in popularity. Perhaps the bloggernacle is growing up *sniff, sniff*.
Regarding Facebook penetration, here’s how Mormon Matters compares:
- Mormon Matters is currently ranked 4th under the tag “Mormonism” behind Feminist Mormon Housewives, By Common Consent, and Juvenile Instructor.
- Under “LDS” Mormon Matters is also 4th behind Baby Making Machine, Mormanity, and The Mysterious Mrs. B. Roth.
- Under “Religion” Mormon Matters is not currently in the top 50. So let’s work on that!
Any surprises here? Do you enjoy the other great bloggernacle sites like we do? I have stats for many of the others (if you are interested in something particular, I can perhaps drop those stats into the commentary below at request, or you can check it out yourself at alexa.com). Are you following the Tweeternacle? Have you added your favorite blogs to your Networked blogs on Facebook? And lastly, what can Mormon Matters do to retain its niche while casting a wider net?