What if you were given free reign and could change or remove one requirement the church makes of its members — forever? Today’s post is from guest blogger, Carter Hall.
For the purposes of this discussion, let’s leave out the core requirements of the Church and address which non-core or peripheral requirements you would tweak. For example, when I posed this question to my wife (Hawkgrrrl), her first reaction was “You mean, like everyone gets one murder?” Not killing people is probably pretty core. [I think she was just verifying her understanding of the question, but you never know. She is named after a mace-weilding superhero known for an aggressive and violent nature. Maybe I should check under the bed for medieval weaponry.]
Of course, everyone’s definition of core will be different, but see what you can do. Here are a few possible avenues, or come up with one of your own:
- The Word of Wisdom. It would be hard for me to imagine anyone arguing for smoking or most drugs, but go there if you’d like. More likely, I wondered if people might opt to tweak the WoW to allow for coffee or moderate alcohol intake. Maybe the occasional glass of wine as a part of the fine dining experience?
- Home Teaching/Visiting Teaching. Especially for the HTers out there, we could really free up some time in the last week of the month if we abandoned the visits. Would this come too close to a core requirement (i.e. love thy neighbor)?
- Tithing. Is 10% too high? Would you like a lower figure? Would you make it more like the tax system, using a sliding scale based on income? A deduction for each child? Any other deductions you would introduce?
- Garments. Even in the Arizona heat, I don’t mind garments. But I’m a guy, and some would point out that it’s not all that different from an undershirt and pair of boxers. Garments used to go to the ankles, wrist, and neck. Would you like to shrink them again (I mean officially, not washing in extra hot water)? If you want to be really aggressive and think they are completely peripheral, would you do away with them altogether and switch to what we call secular underwear?
- Church Attendance. Does the weekly attendance standard seem too high? Or maybe you don’t mind the frequency, but would shorten the three-hour block. When we travel, Hawkgrrrl has suggested “Drive-Thru Sacrament” to be used only by those on vacation (I’m sure that would never get abused).
This is far from a scientific survey, and we certainly aren’t voting for any actual change, but try to narrow your final vote down to the one change you would make.
And please watch out for dangling chads.