What is a New Order Mormon?
New Order Mormons are those who no longer believe some (or much) of the dogma or doctrines of the LDS Church, but who want to maintain membership for cultural, social, or even spiritual reasons. New Order Mormons recognize both good and bad in the Church, and have determined that the Church does not have to be perfect in order to remain useful.
Questions you have always had about NOMs but were afraid to ask!
- Do you ever wonder who in the congregation are the True Believing Mormons and who are the NOMs? What percentage of your ward is NOM – is it growing? Or are some just partially NOM (say 25% of the person- like their right leg)?
- What is an NOM thinking during Sunday School when the topic is evolution, blacks and the priesthood, the one and only true church, we are led by a prophet today, etc?
- How do they get through their temple recommend interview? Have any served or are serving missions now?
- Do any hold high positions in the church, i.e, Bishop or High Councilman? How do they justify it?
- If they don’t really believe the foundation of our church- the book of Mormon being a real grade A bona-fide history, why do they stick with it?
- How can they bear testimony? Are there tell-tale signs of an NOM testimony?
- What are they hoping will eventually happen with the church? Is it worth all the hassle of doublethink they must go through?
- Are you becoming NOM ? Has your thinking become less black and white? Are you seeing things more allegorically?
- Have your views changed on the Mountain Meadows Massacre, DNA, evolution, homosexuals, Mesoamerica, and the Hill Cumorah?
- Would NOMs still come to church if they didn’t feel family or community pressure?
- Some TBM views have changed i.e., polygamy as a requirement for salvation, blacks as less valiant in the pre-mortal existence, Adam-God, Native Americans as descendants of Lamanites. Is there a threat of the church becoming too NOM?