This perhaps will be the only post I write that simply is a series of questions, but these questions have enormous implication for the Church – and for how we view and discuss issues related to it. Honestly, these questions struck me as I read many of the comments on this very blog.
1) Are leaders of any organization primarily responsible for each and every individual within their organization, or are they primarily responsible for the well-being of the organization as a whole?
2) Are Mormon leaders (from Stake Presidents and Bishops and Relief Society Presidents and Sunday School teachers to The Prophet and apostles) different than leaders of secular organizations in this regard?
3) Is there a tension between these possible emphases?
4) If so, how can they be harmonized – or can they be harmonized?
5) How do these questions affect our understanding of accountability – both on a communal and individual level?
6) What other questions arise from the first three questions – and what do you feel the answers are to these other questions?