Last month, one of the RS/PH lessons was about the nature of God. Since the lesson was only about a page and a half long, the discussion in RS ended up raising the question whether God is still progressing or whether, being God He has arrived and is no longer progressing. Read and and share your views.
On the one hand, we teach that God is omniscient, all knowing, the smartest of the smart, prognosticator of prognosticators, etc. OTOH, we teach the doctrine of eternal progression: that as man is, God once was, and as God is, man may become. We also teach that eternal progression is part of God’s plan for us, and that we are to learn and grow “line upon line, precept upon precept.”
Since “the glory of God is intelligence” (D&C 93:36) and “intelligence or the light of truth was not created nor made nor indeed can be” (D&C 93:29) and when “there are two spirits, one being more intelligent than the other; there shall be another more intelligent than they; I am the Lord thy God, I am more intelligent than they all” (Abraham 3:19) – does that mean that there are hierarchies of Gods based on intelligence or the “light of truth”? Is intelligence something that we can’t increase? Does that mean that eternal progression is not increasing our intelligence?
So, what does eternal progression mean?
- Does it mean that we continue to make mistakes and learn from them? Are we allowed to make mistakes after we die? Does God still make mistakes? Does he have some discarded practice earths floating around out there? (Maybe that’s what happened to Pluto)
- Does access to knowledge constitute eternal progression (e.g. celestial Wikipedia, when the earth becomes a Urim & Thummim)?
- Does God explore strange new worlds (presumably created by other Gods), seek out new civilizations and boldly go?
- How does God become like His Father? Is that just getting old, but no additional skills are required, kind of like going from CEO to being on the board of directors?
- Is there a God threshold? At which point do we say “Now THAT’s Godhood. Yesterday, that was pre-Godhood, but today you’ve arrived”? Is that when one has atoned? If so, are there enough atonements to go around or are there lower level God positions for those who aren’t going to go that far?
- Can stupid people become Gods? Wouldn’t stupid Gods have stupid spiritual kids? Do different planets have different intelligences? What if we ARE the stupid ones?
- Wouldn’t it be boring as all get out if you were a God and there was nothing new to learn or experience? Is God in a constant state of ennui? Isn’t that why the Greek gods were always chasing tail and creating havoc – boredom + power?
- Isn’t lack of progress the Mormon definition of hell? If God doesn’t progress, doesn’t that = hell? That can’t be right.
So, take a moment to consider what your opinion is and answer the following poll:[poll ID = “141”]