The Continuing Crisis

Well folks, this is my first post in this community.  I’m glad to be here.  Those who know me will recognize the title of this entry — it’s an ongoing series of posts I’ve sent over the years, documenting the angst of a Jewish fellow living hip-deep in Mormondom.

I plan to post once a week, with a new column on The Continuing Crisis.  I do look forward to seeing many of you here, commenting, criticizing, etc.

Best.

Comments

comments

7 comments for “The Continuing Crisis

1. January 14, 2008 at 8:40 pm

Excellent: ) Welcome to the blogging world, from a Mormon with serious interests in Judaism. ( I recognize your name from your book reviews.)

2. January 14, 2008 at 9:27 pm

I echo the interest in Judaism. Looking forward to the posts. My favorite Gospel Doctrine sessions were those taught by a former Jew in my in-law’s ward. Especially getting the gap coverage between the Old and New Testament.

3. Jeff Spector
    January 14, 2008 at 10:18 pm

Just a slight correction. We Jews are Jews for life even if we do not practice the religion of Judaism. So I am also interested. The word “former” just not does feel right, even though I have been told by Jews that I am no longer a Jew. Funny, my parents didn’t change when I joined the Church 🙂

4. January 15, 2008 at 11:23 am

Jeff Spector — When you write, “We Jews are Jews for life even if we do not practice the religion of Judaism,” that’s a bit misleading to those who aren’t, or have never been, Jewish. You can personally continue to self-identify as a Jew, to accept the blessings of your heritage. Also, Judaism accepts that many faiths can co-exist, that Jews don’t own the highway to G-d. We don’t claim to have the only, or the fastest, vehicle on the road — but we do insist that each car only have one driver. If you accept another religion, by Jewish law, you are of that religion and not also still a Jew. Mormonism is much the same — you can’t be a Catholic and a Mormon at the same time, for instance.

5. Stephen Marsh
    January 15, 2008 at 12:20 pm

Made me think of the book, Paul, the Jewish Theologian, which really adds a great deal to understanding Paul.

6. John Nilsson
    January 15, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Welcome Jeff!

I have always been fascinated with the parallels between Judaism and Mormonism, two religions which became peoples, or peoples who became religions, or who can’t make up their mind which category they are in.

Both Mormonism and Judaism have interesting relationships between a homeland and diaspora as well. In both of those homelands, the percentage of those considering themselves Mormon and Jewish is slowly dropping too…

7. September 7, 2009 at 9:04 pm